Student Registration Qualifications:
Listed below are the admission requirements for students enrolling in Poquoson City Public Schools.
- A person of school age (i.e., a person who will have reached his fifth birthday on or before September 30 of the school year.)
- A person who has not reached 20 years of age on or before August 1 of the school year.
- Reside in the Poquoson City Public Schools division or be eligible for admission under the Virginia Department of Education Guidelines.
Poquoson City Public Schools requires the following documentation in order to enroll your child, per the Virginia Department of Education.
Documents required to have for the final appointment:
- Certified original Birth Certificate for the student (copies are not permitted)
- Parent/Legal Guardian Driver's License, DMV Identification or Passport
- Any custody orders/paperwork
- Name, address, phone number, and FAX number of the last school attended
- Copy of last report card, if applicable
- Proof of residency, two or more of the following required:
- A resident is defined as one who resides permanently in the City of Poquoson. Proof of residence must include two (2) proofs of residence/address: a current lease agreement/mortgage statement and a current utility bill (electric, gas, water, sanitation dated within the last 30 days, showing the enrolling parent/legal guardian name. If the resident is presenting a Poquoson Residency Affidavit, it must be notarized. Final decisions regarding residence for school attendance purposes shall be made by the division superintendent or his/her designee.
- Any person who knowingly makes a false statement concerning the residency of a child in a particular school district or school attendance zone, for the purpose of (1) avoiding the tuition charges authorized by applicable law or (2) enrollment in a school outside the attendance zone in which the student resides, may be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor and shall be liable to the School Board for tuition charges authorized by applicable law for the time the student was enrolled in Poquoson City Public Schools, pursuant to Virginia Code § 22.1-264.1.
- Physical Examination: State law requires that your child receives a physical examination before entering kindergarten or elementary school. (Only applies to Kindergarten through Grade-5)
- Immunization Record: Documentation indicating that the child has received the required immunizations must be provided. Please review the School and Day Care Minimum Immunization Requirements (PDF) (available from the Virginia Department of Health) for a list of the required immunizations.
Expulsion Statement: When a student is registered, the parent must provide a sworn statement about whether the child has been expelled from attending a private school or another public school in Virginia or a school in another state for an offense involving weapons, alcohol or drugs, or for willful infliction of injury to another person. In addition, the parent must provide a sworn statement or affirmation indicating whether the student has been found guilty of or adjudicated delinquent for any offense listed in subsection G of § 16.1-260 or any substantially similar offense under the laws of any state, the District of Columbia, or the United States or its territories.
Homeless Information and Resources:
For information regarding services under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act please visit our Student Services page.